13 November 2007

Living in a Snow Globe

Bald Eagle on old pier posts

I love this weather. It's like living in a real snow globe. Fat, luscious snow flakes whirling around and falling so fast they coat your eyelashes and clothing in seconds, the sea a quiet slate of dark gray. Every grumpy or cranky thought I've had this week flies out of my head in this kind of weather. I'm going to have to shovel the neighbor's boat in the harbor tonight. It will be fun. The Disreputable Dog and I will take our evening walk there tonight. I love walking in this kind of weather too - every noise is muted like it's under a blanket. Every surface is softened. The smells seem muted to my nose too but I know they're not really because the Disreputable Dog is really enjoying all the smells dug up by the snow plows and I am enjoying seeing the animal tracks that he finds by smell and that I normally can't see. I love winter! And this last Sunday we got out for our first ski of the season! Yay!

The Disreputable Dog loves it too. Look at that smile!

14 comments:

  1. The contrast between Disreputable Dog's tawny coat and the pristine snow is nice. He looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I miss winter. And Disreputable Dog always looks like such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you love winter. i do not love this sort of winter, so knowing you do makes it all feel just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss winters and skiing. Nowadays it's just grey and wet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter has special magic and very different here in NM than in Wisconsin- but still blanketed and kind of sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely wait for the snow - I always love it the first time, after that, I am ready for it to be over.

    I love smiling dogs, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really want to lob a snowball over to disreputable, and see if i can't get him into a game of chase. looks wonderful there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are wonderful; I enjoyed your posts on Morocco too. I want to go there soon! My disreputable Newfoundland and I are waiting patiently for snow here. If she ever sees this post she might try to drag me off to Alaska :9

    ReplyDelete
  9. maypole ~ I couldn't agree more But then, I'm slightly biased :)

    ms chica ~ he is cozy, always, he makes lying in snow look like lying on a feather bed.

    post doc ~ well, I'll try and feed your winter cravings with some photos. And yes, DD is a big sweetie.

    jen ~ I love this kind of weather so much that a college boyfriend once made me paper snowflakes because I was so homesick for snow (at a college without this season). But that's ok that you don't. I'll love you anyway.

    hypoglycemia girl ~ yeah. I hear you. I worry about losing our winters. The world will be a smaller place without snow & ice.

    doris rose ~ yeah, I imagine there is a sort of dryness difference. And more sun.

    qt ~ really? I don't get tired of it until April.

    matte ~ snowball fight! Yes, I love lobing snowballs for DD and watching him eat them.

    field notes ~ thank you! And welcome. You may have been here before but thanks for commenting. I saw your Newfie...reminds me of a pal of my Disreputable Dog. They LOVE the snow. It's like someone gave them a huge gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am heartily jealous - I love the snow. We don't get a right lot of it in London...

    ReplyDelete
  11. but why ~ well you do, but rather the unfrozen kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are of course correct - we get plenty snow in the skies over London. It's just undergone a miserable phase transition on its way to greeting us (miserable?) surface-dwellers. Mind you, it's not as if we have anywhere decent to ski here when it does snow in any great quantity...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, snow on your eyelashes.

    How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your messages here...I am always delighted to have comments!