11 February 2009

This little piggy wore boots

So I actually have very blister prone feet - and as Silver Fox pointed out in a comment, I am "hellishly gung-ho for the outdoors". It's not the best of combinations. My feet are so blister prone that I can get blisters in slippers and any other foot device and yes, if I go barefoot I can manage that too. If I haven't worn a pair of shoes for a week I'll get blisters, if I've worn a pair of shoes for a whole day I'll get blisters. So this explains my skiing situation - I hadn't worn my ski boots for that long of a ski in a month because, well, I've been moving. This blister problem has plagued me all my life to the point that in field camps there are entire betting games based on the number of blisters I come home with in a week with winners scoring whatever the cheap beer is that is being drunk in camp. I kid you not. Usually I have a thousand and one strategies for dealing with this. I am the person you want to have on your trip if you develop blisters because I can wrap them up in such a way you won't even know they're there. Of course, I'll also make you stop the minute you mention that your toe/ heel is starting to hurt. Which was my big mistake. As we glide along the beautiful crystalline river I think to myself 'hmm, my big toes hurt, I bet they're blistering' and then as Life-Long-Ranger says that he feels a bit of a cramp I say off handidly, "Yeah, I think I'm getting a blister". Did I stop and take care of the offending appendages? No. I did not. I was thinking 'it's cold out, the sun has gone down behind the ridge, we're almost there'. Almost, it turned out was another 2 hours and by then the damage was done. So now I spend my evenings soaking my toes for half an hour each night, I spend the rest of the night freezing my toes so as to let them dry out (freezing because there is a cold draft on my floor that can only be buffered by soaks and slippers), and I spend 15 minutes each morning wrapping them and generally making sure that, other then the first twinge as I change shoes, I will not notice that they're a mess. Really, if they insist on fussing like this they're just going to have to get over it because I am going to continue to go running, hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing - every day and they're just going to have to deal. You'd think my feet would have figured this out by now. I'm not letting a little pain get in the way of my outdoors time! There now...if you're brave scroll down for a photo of the damage... (if you just ate or have a sensitive stomach I suggest you avoid this part).


--scrolling






--scrolling







--scrolling







--scrolling










--scrolling







--scrolling









after a few days of healing

15 comments:

  1. Now THAT is impressive! Those are even better than any of the palm blisters I remember getting from rowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sh*t! You do have a talent for blisters.

    Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought my feet were bad when it comes to blisters, but now I realize some people are worse off than me. Oh the joy of the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had no idea blisters could look like that! hope they heal soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks rather painful. I, too, get blisters. But those are mostly on my heels. I hope the toe heals soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeowch! Don't they get infected? Looks like your poor toe got bruised too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I am prone to blisters too, but I am pretty sure you win the "worst blister" competition hands down. Hope they heal soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I now realise how lucky I am -I've never had a blister bigger than the end of a pencil eraser. And I've never seen one bleed/open up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks painful. hope the feeling continues...quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nasty! I hope it heals fast. And I hope you had fun getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Youch! scrolling scrolling scrolling - I like that part, a bit of suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get blisters at the drop of a hat so what I do is cover the likely sites with bandaids prophylactically, and that usually staves off the worst of it. Also, several bandaids one on top of the other with a section cut out. And the always fun foam wrapped around individual toes prior to putting them into the sock/shoe.

    And comfrey salve afterward, of course.

    FA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ow! Have you ever tried getting hand-made custom-fitted boots? Perhaps the problem is the difference between the shape of your feet and the shape of commercially available foot gear? I've seen a few very good boot makers over the years--often selling through venues like Renaissance Fairs. If this is a common problem, it might be worth the price of custom made foot gear--particularly if you speak with the maker and explain that you are blister-prone. If you go that route, make them pattern each foot separately, rather than doing one and assuming the other is a mirror image!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats a *blister*!? Holy _____. I second the custom footwear. Customized orthotics might help too, if you don't want to get entirely custom made shoes (both would probably be best). To get the orthotics to fit in properly you often have to remove the built in sole, so that you aren't shrinking the space for your feet.

    oi. well, good luck with those O_o

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your messages here...I am always delighted to have comments!