04 May 2009

Sharp-shinned Love Affair

This weekend was a busy one. I dismantled an old dog run, I dismantled an old compost pile (with yummy albeit frozen composted soil in it), I built 4 planting beds + 2 half planting beds (i.e. they aren't finished and yes, that yummy compost is going in them), I went to a seed swap where everyone complained about voles (so I lined the bottoms of my new planting beds with fine wire salvaged from the dog runs - I'll post pix when the last two are finished), I dismantled and moved two beds and reassembled, and I watched, mostly listened, to a lovesick pair of sharp-shinned hawks.

It started Friday night while we were having a hurried dinner out on the picnic tables before rushing off to see the premiere of a local high school history film (which was fabulously well done I might add). We kept hearing these, at the time, unseen hawks just going off. We speculated but we had to get on the road. The next day though they were in full form. They seem to have claimed the land we have lived on as part of their territory as they kept swapping places on one particular aspen tree. Maybe we'll be lucky and have a nest! Or not so lucky as far as seeing any other birds this summer - I noticed that it had gone deadly quite where the other birds were concerned. However this weekend I did see my first spring robin and this morning on my bike ride in I heard my first varied thrush. While at the seed swap we had tundra swans and a bald eagle flying overhead. That and a week of really warm weather and it must be summer, even if the ground is still frozen half an inch down!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I go away and there's a posting frenzy! We used to have a pair of sharp-shinned hawks nesting in our backyard when we lived in the Northern Hemisphere and I was in love with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enjoyable blog. I like wilderness and whimsey. Also noticed my first sharp shin this week. Am sure I had seen but not recognized many before I took up birding a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sally Forth - yes, I'm back finally!

    @ Troutbirder, welcome! And thanks for commenting! I'll be over to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your messages here...I am always delighted to have comments!