12 May 2009

Recovery

The Disreputable Dog is amazing. The surgeon told me that this leg might take longer to heal up. If anything, it's healing faster. On Friday he was a miserable lump of a dog. We got him out of the vehicle and whenever I wasn't visible or was more then 5 feet away he would whine. His eyes were cloudy and drugged and he fought the drug induced sleep all he could until he would just keel nose first into the rug. He refused to eat all weekend and had to have pills thrust down his throat and he was completely and totally uninterested in his hedgehog (a stuffed toy that he carries around like it's his baby and that he has to show every visitor). I think the drugs must have made him nauseous. And his leg was this nasty purplish swollen thing. Frozen peas helped but he didn't tolerate them for very long.
I pedaled home yesterday wondering how he'd be and out came this bounding dog with his hedgehog in the mouth full of energy and a sparkle in his eye. He ate - of course he did, he got hare that my boss gave me - and he even lifted the other leg to pee - putting all of his weight on the newly operated on leg. His joy in all things has been revived. He tussled his cat instead of the other way around. He threw his hedgehog in the air a few times. Still, he set up howling when I left this morning and twice I had to bike back to pacify him. If that were me post surgery I think I'd still be whining on the couch.

12 comments:

  1. My dog Roxy has a stuffed hedgehog too. ;-)

    Glad he's bounced back with such a vengeance!!! Go DD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear DDog -- I know we haven't met, but I hope you feel better very soon, so we can play some day. My mom also says hi to your mom -- please give her a kiss for us. Love, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for DD! I'm hope he continues to improve rapidly. (Though I am sorry he misses you so much during the day.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that DD is doing better than the doctor expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so happy that DD is recovering so nicely. I hope that he continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay again! And I'm with you, I'd still be howling and wanting comfort after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this made me smile until my toes started tingling. please give DD and his hedgehog a pat from me.

    and the beauty of spring on the tundra - how i wish i could see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a wonderful post. Good news like that spreads joy around. Thanks for telling us how well DD is doing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your messages here...I am always delighted to have comments!