02 October 2007

In Memoriam: Aunt Belle

Monday morning I was a bit hassled, the way one is when one is running a little behind schedule. I'd been to the doctor's for a routine check-up and was in a rush to turn on the glacier cams and do the morning scans. Then I noticed the red light that was lit up on my phone indicating there was a message. It was my father calling to let me know that my Great Aunt Belle had passed away, rather unexpectedly that morning; 8am my time, noon hers. I sat there stunned listening to my co-workers who were arranging rides up to Los Anchorage for Matt's funeral which is today, feeling disconnected, dazed. Around 5pm a co-worker came to see if I was leaving for the day and I stared at her, unable to comprehend what time it was. She coaxed me to leave, to go home, and I rode my bike through the swirling autumn leaves and walked my dog close along the shore listening to the lapping of the waves against it and finding strange comfort therein.

Aunt Belle was an amazing woman who lived a very full life. I have this picture of her dancing with my Grandmother at my sister's wedding and it is the epitome of who these women are. They are dressed to the nines and they partied that night long after their kids and grand kids had given up and they are laughing, the two of them full of mischievous humor and good natured ribbing. Of her remaining sisters Aunt Belle had seemed by far the healthiest although she was in her mid-80's. She still cooked at her family owned restaurant and took long adventurous vacations to places like Italy. She never lost an opportunity to gussie up, to flirt with a young man, or to dance. So it came as something of a shock that she had passed away although I take great comfort in the fact that she lived a full and rich life.

I'm still sort of numb - I'll be driving north to Matt's funeral this afternoon. I can't wrap my head around these duel griefs at the moment, nor the shocking vitality of life around me.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, what an awful few days. Your aunt sounds like an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayfarer -- I am so sorry for your loss. You told me about your aunt while I was visiting -- she (and your grandmother) sounded like outstanding women. Our thoughts are with you while you mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm terribly sorry. Losses sometimes seem to come clustered together and it's very difficult to not lose myself in sadness at those times. I am glad you have good memories of your Aunt Belle and Matt. I really am very sorry they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. It does seem like these things happen in clusters. Those sound like wonderful, amaing memories to have of a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for both your losses. That's a lot for one week. Hope you can give yourself some time to deal with your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a blow. I'm sorry for your loss, and happy that you had such a wonderful person in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she sounds like a lovely lady. I hope someone describes me with such joy and love when I am gone.

    good thoughts coming your way... what a difficult week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. I am just catching up and can only echo a heartfelt "sorry".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply wishing warm thoughts and healing energy in this hard time. My, but it seems too much to bear sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry. These things are hard enough to handle coming one at a time, let alone in clusters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry life is coming at you so fast. Your Aunt Bell sounds like an awesome woman who enjoyed life to the fullest, may the memories you shared of her inspire the rest of us to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. veo ~ thank you. Yes, she was an amazing lady.

    froghair ~ yep, we did. thank you.

    post-doc ~ thank you. Often times these things do seem to cluster don't they?

    saxifraga ~ thank you, I will.

    pilgrim/ heretic ~ exactly. thank you.

    maypole ~ thank you...I can feel them from here.

    sally forth ~ probably a good week to miss! but thank you.

    liv ~ I can use all of them I can get. so thanks.

    gill ~ aren't they? the unexpectedness of both really caught me off guard although I suppose I should be glad for the lack of drawn out suffering. thank you.

    ms chica ~ indeed, a wonderful inspiring woman. May we all be like her in our eighties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry.
    You really have had a fair share of loss recently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tabba ~ thank you for your condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.
    I can't even think what to say, other than, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Peace be with you.

    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  16. scarlett ~ those words are more then enough. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your messages here...I am always delighted to have comments!